1. WestHollywood.com
  2. West Hollywood
  3. March 19, 2010
  4.  Subscribe via email

Greg Gilbert Remembered. Click [url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/35673505@N00/sets/72157645755214191"]here[/url] for pictures.

References
  1. https://www.flickr.com/photos/35673505@N00/sets/72157645755214191
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo

Every year when turkey day comes around, I think of that picture of Greg and Brian and pumpkin pie. He had some great parties!

John

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo

Hard to believe it will be 10 years since we lost Greg. He was such a great guy. Would love to host an event this year in his honor. Any takers to co-host?

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I first met Greg when we were both at American Dance Machine when attending NYU. I had a huge crush on him and was intimidated by his incredible charm / red hair and good looks and of course his perfect body. We became friends and he told me about an audition for the movie "Heaven Help Us" which we both shot for 3 months together in the mid 80's... we also both appeared in the movie of "Torch Song Trilogy" later on. We hung out a lot in NYC back before we were really "out" and what a wild ride it would be once the cat was outta the bag! I moved to LA and he remained in NYC... then he came to LA and i moved back to NYC... kept missing each other... we'd see each other periodically but i will miss him and i'm sorry i didn't know about his passing earlier.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Catching up with old friends from HS, I couldn't believe what I heard about Greg. We grew up together, living around the corner from each other and getting into trouble all the time! Greg "Red" Gilbert as he was known back then...I can remember him winning some contest (I can't even remember what it was now) and he won a Pacer car. He was 15 yrs old & had to wait a few months until he got his license. Actually he drove over to my house, picked me up & we were cruising around the neighborhood trying to avoid getting caught. He's also responsible for me getting into mime. We dressed up one day for the heck of it, drove down to Coconut Grove's Art Festival & just "mimin'" around. We actually picked up our first job when some lady came up & asked us if we did private parties. We looked at each other & said "sure we do" not having a clue what we were in for. As for me, it was 20 more years of mime & clowning which also helped to pay for my college. I lost track of Greg when he left for NY City & I left for college, but I thought of him often over the years. I have a lot of fun photos of him in the early years if anyone's interested. I'm so glad to hear that he was so loved by so many wonderful people. Like Hal Axler & Cathy Levy said (hi guys!!) sounds like he was the same fun loving, generous, crazy, enthusiastic pure soul he was when he was young. Love to all in his memory - Michelle Phillips images@trademanphoto.com
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Cathy Levi....of ourse I remember you. What a great place to meet up with a former High School Thespian then a tribute to Greg! IF I am allowed to post my email address...please drop me a line at haxler@aol.com!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
I've been looking Greg up on Classmates.com for the past 3 years. Tonight I decided to Google his name (Didn't think of this before)...and THIS IS WHAT I FIND...I'm devastated! I felt in my heart that something may have been wrong when I began searching for him a few years back. FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN SOME EARLY 'GREG' MEMORIES... In the late 70's Greg and I were inseparable. We were best buds as we studied Drama together in Miami, Florida. Palmetto was our stomping ground and we would take long drives to North Miami or Miami Beach or wherever there was a play being staged by our fellow Thespians...Then we would hang out with them for their cast party and make our way back home in the wee hours of the morning. Our beverage of choice in those days was soda and 'unadulterated' punch, believe it or not. On the weekends when we weren't doing mime in Coconut Grove for hours at a time...Greg "Red" Gilbert sometimes on roller skates...with friend Michelle Phillips...we would gather at Greg's house or my apartment performing all the rolls in "A Chorus Line" or "Annie" or whatever other then Broadway hit we fancied. I remember sneaking into his Mom's very eclectic costume wardrobe room to play 'dress up' with him. His Mom, with her share of great, wild red locks was also sweet, funny and a bit eccentric, and would drape all the living room furniture in dust cloths until party guests came over...That room was always off-limits to Greg and friends. My friend Greg was exactly as you all describe, even way back then...before West Hollywood, and before New York, and before he found his niche in this world. Never a pale wishy-washy anything was he...but instead a kaleidoscope of brilliant colours that left his mark wherever he went. I loved him very deeply but we lost touch when I returned to my home in Jamaica as the telephone service in my country at the time was pretty primitive to say the least and neither of us was any good at writing letters so we just kinda fell out of touch. I never forgot about Greg as the years passed and tried to make contact in a couple of different ways. Sometime later I heard that he was in New York (I always knew he would be) but before the advent of the internet it was near impossible trying to track him down as I no longer had a contact number for his Mom either. Here's a fact that anyone who was really close to him might know: He had a scar on his 'left' shoulder, I believe it was the left one, where he had been bitten by a dog in his early teen years...He was always concerned that it would affect his ability to get a decent modeling job or shirtless role (No Photoshop in those days). Darling, effervescent Greg, with his flaming red tresses bouncing about his head as he danced and bounding through this life with an ageless youthfulness, resplendent personality, and infectious passion and love of all people and the world about him that is incomparable to no one else I have ever known, will always be with me in my happiest of thoughts. I am so happy for his life and loving friends, and so sorry for his suffering...but especially disappointed that I never saw him again before his sad passing. (I noticed that Hal Axler and Ricky Martin made comments herein...They too were classmates of ours back in they day. If you're reading this...Hi, guys! Remember me?) Much love, my dear friend Greg. I miss you! Love forever from your Jamaican friend...
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Greg always had a different look at life. he had a fun energy among all the crazyiness of our lifestyle. We miss you greg! Mike
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
God, I miss you! Luis Collazo collazo333@hotmail.com
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
WOW, I was just watching American Idol and somone on it reminded me of a great friend that I had in NY arount 20-24 yrs ago. That friend was Greg Gilbert who shockingly has been on my mind a few different times today. We auditioned together and did what many young aspiring actors did together. He such a wonderful and happy guy. GREG RED GILBERT was how he was known back than. Than I moved to LA and than he came here as well. We only hung out a bit when he moved here and than we both went our own ways. As he popped into my mind this evening I thought to google his name and, sadly I found this. I am so sad to hear of his passing. And I am guessing that it was exactly 2 yrs since he left this earth. Perhaps it was him reminding me of how great he was. Please email me and let me know what happened to Greg. WOW I am sad. Linda Rochelle Lindr411@aol.com
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
As I sit here putting together the text that is so hard for me to write I can feel Greg all around me. GREG GILBERT Greg and I have had many laughs many years hanging out and it was great to have had him in my life. I remember meeting Greg when I was very young on my first after school special and he came up to me as I sat alone reading and said "HEY I'M GREG LET'S GO GET LUNCH AND I'LL TELL YOU ABOUT THE BUSINESS" and I have to say was my inspiration to stick with it. I am so Blessed to have know him and grateful for God to have given us the time we had shared together in NY. Greg I love you so much and you are so missed in my heart. I was so happy to have had a friend like Greg growing up in this business was hard but he always had a way of making me laugh and see forth on the journey that was ahead and made it easy for me to march out on stage to perform my first single I am still in this business we call show. Thank you Greg I owe it to you for giving me the knowledge and understanding that talent should stand on its own and that giving in to the nonsense would not allow me to amount to anything and from your words I kept my life on the right road and never looked left or right only ahead. Bless You. I shared the information of Greg's passing with another friend Caesar. I introduced them and it was a quick hit and the three of us worked in the entertainment field and would meet up at Tiffany's to eat and talk about auditions we had gone on and than we would sit for hours and talk shop....Greg's knowledge of the industry we amazing. Through Greg I met my ex-girlfriend Maureen Davis who I had fallen for and when it was over Greg was the one who helped me through it and stayed by my side and once again made me laugh and see the bright side of things. Greg, Caesar and I and added another friend Angelo and it was the four of us so tight no one would ever come between us. Caesar called Angelo and shared the news and the three of us will forever feel the loss of Greg as I am sure others will as well. When Greg moved to LA I knew it was the end and the feeling I had rang true I slipped away from us and onto another stage of his life that did not included us but he was always in our hearts. I ran into Greg the time before last and when I saw him I said Greg he looked at me in shock, laughed and ran away on me and that was the last time I saw Greg. From that time I kept telling Caesar - Greg is on my mind Greg is on my mind and the feeling kept getting stronger and one day Caesar and I chatted on the phone and I asked "did Angelo find the number" he said "he did but it was not a working number" I said hold on and it hit me to Google him and when I did I was shocked and tears came down and I stood shocked for I had lost a very dear friend and I kept saying no no no and Caesar shared in my pain as he shared it with Angelo and I with my whole family they became saddened with the news. If anyone knows of how I can get in-touch with his Mother Please email me her information. I have a dance tape I want her to have it was a whole tape of Greg performing. Greg, I know you are sitting with The Holy Family and the Blessed Mother and you will forever share in their Love as we all shared with you our Love as we will Love you forever. When God created Greg Gilbert he was so Happy to have had him in his life for he made God smile as he did everyone else who surrounded him in Heaven. But the time came for Greg to meet his parents and God Blessed him and he was off onto the journey that awaited him. When he was born he was loved and cared for and with Parents as well as a Brother and Sister who loved him as they knew he was a blessed soul. The time came for Greg to return home and God called upon him because his time he had been filled and God greatly missed him and wanted him at his side where he will forever share in the joy and happiness of Heaven. Greg I Love you and you will always be in my prayers. OXOX Frankie C. frankiecmusic@aol.com
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
I really didn't know Greg, but I knew some of his friends. I met Greg once or twice. Greg was a staple of the town for a long time. I knew I would always see him around when I was out. This is really sad. It was nice reading all the other comments. I'm sure he was loved by many and had great friends. I'm sure many miss you Greg.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Last night, I ran into an old friend of mine who told me about Greg's passing last year. I am so saddened to hear about this and wish so much I could have known when he was sick - I would have been at his bedside for him. And I am so heart-broken that I was not at his funeral/memorial services.... I was Greg's parnter in Club Hardware and Black & White party in mid 1990's & was involved with his creation of ButterBAll. WE spent many a night along Santa Monica Boulevard posting his "teasers" and promoting the clubs. I even remember one night we set up a scaffold at the corner where Rage is located and had some hot looking guys wearing hard hats displayed on it to promote Club Hardwarde. I had sooo much fun with Greg...We worked hard and partied hard. He was an amazing "girl" friend who had the heart of Gold. He loved entertaining people and was such a committed promoter. That truly was his passion! He loved those parties. We had a blast doing them...everything from planning photo shoots using my boyfriend at that time Apollo (such a good sport) wearing a hard hat and working a jack hammer...I remember when Greg painted half of his body in white and the other half in black to be photographed on black/white checkered floor. He was imaginative and loved loved those projects where he could completely expressed himself with out ANY reservations. We had outrageous photo shoots and I never laughed so much - I always supported him and we just made it happen. I still have photos many of you have never seen...Classic Greg creations.....I also worked with him on his locations service...we were connected to the hip for many many years until life took me in a whole new direction.... I will never forget his infectious laugh...sense of style and flamboyant ways....We were there for each other during those "drama" filled times....we partied, worked, laughed and cried together....He was there for me during my breakups and I was there to nurse his wounds as well... I wish I could get a hold of Mark STuplin who was one of his closest friends...they were like brothers and Mark played a very significant role in my life as well - fabulous friend!...Also wish I could get a hold of Greg's mother...they were so close and adored each other.. Greg and I shared a very special bond and I know in my heart he knows how much I loved him and how meaningful our times were together....WE were always very affectionate with each other and always told each other "love you bitch" after all calls and times spent together.... Greg-Hope that you are enjoying the parties in heaven my precious dear friend....Thank you for all of your love, support, loyalty and devotion...You had a big effect on many lives and were so loved by many many people...even your competitors could not help but adore you too...You were priceless!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
I recently heard that Greg had died. I google searched him to see if there was any info, not only about his passing, but also of his life as I have not seen him since we were in drama club in High School. For those of you had not known Greg for a long time, the comments you all made about him could have been written in First Grade, Second Grade, Third Grade, ...... get the picture! He was a good guy as a kid, I'm glad to see he was remembered well as an adult.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
Oh this is awful, awful news about Carl Bean House closing. They were a last resort for people to die with dignity.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
Carl Bean was where Greg spent his final days. They took wonderful care of him. This is sad news: -------------------------------------------- AHF Closes Carl Bean AIDS Hospice From IN Magazine On Feb. 26, as a result of severe cuts in funding approved by the L.A. County Board of Supervisors, AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) was forced to close its Carl Bean House, L.A.'s only AIDS hospice and 24-hour residential HIV/AIDS nursing care facility. The 25-bed facility opened in 1992 in the West Adams District and offered L.A. residents, primarily from the African American and Latino communities, access to quality HIV/AIDS care and services. Since last February, the Board of Supervisors approved reduced funding for the Carl Bean House from $1.7 million to $550,000, which AHF said in a statement, represented a 40 percent reduction in the facility's overall operating budget. "Nineteen years ago, we fought an historic battle to create hospice and residential care facilities for people who were dying from AIDS and who were living on the streets in Los Angeles County," said AHF president Michael Weinstein. "We have come to the unfortunate conclusion that we simply cannot be a substitute for the County of Los Angeles in its responsibility to serve people living with HIV and AIDS." IN Magazine will have more on this story in their next issue.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 15
Votes
Undo
it's not the same not seeing your happy smile in the clubs anymore ! but i do know your there ! rick
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 16
Votes
Undo
Hard to believe you've been gone a year now Greg... The boys will all be dancing with you poolside at White Party! And we'll be watching you in that outrageous swim suit and hair!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 17
Votes
Undo
Hey All- As the holidays are around, I wanted to do something in memory of Greg, and and with the anniversary of the infamous "BUTTERBALL" just passing, I have gotten together with "Legendary Bingo" to do the "BINGO-BALL". On Wednesday January 4th 2006, the weekly Bingo event at Hamburger Mary's in Weho will benefit "Carl Bean House", in Greg's memory. Please forward this information on to make people aware of the date and don't forget to check out the legendary bingo website; http://www.legendarybingo.com Feel free to e-mail me; marc_w@prodigy.net if you have any questions. I am working on making the best prize bags ever as well as getting a really exciting celebrity ball-caller. Hope to see you all there- Thanks- Marc
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 18
Votes
Undo
I was in New York recently and wondered what had become of Greg Gilbert. I put his name in a google-search and up came this memorial. Needless to say, I have been numbed by the news, but also grateful that so many of you, and some old friends, have spoken out. I came to California with Greg, as DJ Wes described earlier, to check it out. Later, Greg moved out to Los Angeles first, and I followed some time later, staying with him and Robert Berk. In New York, Greg and I were inseparable, discovering the world outside of the conventional atmosphere with extreme gusto. It is inconceivable to me that he would have been called back. The photographs were wonderful to see, the complete collage of his most colorful and energetically charged life. I would love to send his mother a card, if any of you know her address. And for you Wes, please write me, our mutual friend Maureen blake is often in my mind. With Greg gone, it's easy to see how deep a connection friends can make, and shape and form life. Ricky Martin (rikkilavern@hotmail.com)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 19
Votes
Undo
Greg, we grew up together. We took care of each other for the last 18 years. I'm sorry I wasn't there in your last days. I love you and I miss you. See you in Heaven. Luis Collazo
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. West Hollywood
  3. # 20
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Contribute!