1. WestHollywood.com
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. September 1, 2006
  4.  Subscribe via email
Does anyone know if the disco that I went to in the late 70's still exists or what happened to it? It was called the Odyssey. Somewhere in or near Hollywood. Thanks
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
If you continued reading below you would have the answer to your questions. Odyssey was burned down by it's owners in 1985. Oil Can Harry's is still going strong with Country during the week and Retro Disco on Saturday nights. Apache is gone, and Circus (Not Circus Circus, that's in Las Vegas) is still there with that jerk of an owner (very bitter Gene) treating people like crap. Haven't been there in years. Sadly the 80's are over. People are not as nice as they used to be, things change and for those of us lucky enough to remember a simpler era without annoying cell phones we have to deal with the harshness of this era. Oh well, they can't take away memories.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Wow....takes me way back. I lived in Weho then...went there a few times...but mainly my group of friends hung out at places like Jungle, Circus Circus, Apache in West LA, or Oil Can Harry's in the Valley....do you guys remember those places? Living in Texas now and all the guys I knew and loved then are all gone from HIV.....but it sure was a magical time and nice to know I got to experience it!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I was thinking about this place again when my friend who recently passed, MILAN, told me how magical it was. He used to take the bus from Downey and end up there with great memories.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
It was a great disco !! boys, drugs, music and Sex ! if the parking lot across the street could talk we all be in jail !
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
LUV LUV LUVED THAT PLACE!!I used to go there back in the late seventies and early eighties. It was thee place. Danced my ass off till the wee hours of the morning. Lots of eclectic people and other orignals went there. I knew of the drugs that were around but never took them. Then AIDS came along and all of the fun went. These cookie cutter clubs don't even come close.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Ohhh- the Odyssey- lets' see the drug dealing down stairs and girls were not allowed down there. The guys at the door and oh the sexy clothes! How much did I have back then? Crazy time in life. The Odyssey is long gone and there is an office building in its place. Jan's is still across the street. One of the owners died of AIDS and I have run into some peeps who hung out there over the years. I live with the old coat check girl! They were going to have a reunion but that never came about. Yes, it burned down and there were too many problems with the neighbors with sexual activities going on in the neighborhood and drug use. Too bad so sad. I can still remember so many names.... Sex (cecilio), Robert and Robert, and the girls Shannon, Wendy, Stacey, and all those bitches Raquel #1, so so many could go on 4-ever and ever!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
I hate dating myself, but Odyssey was one of the first gay clubs I went to in Los Angeles in my UCLA college days... Definitely the place to go... The ONLY place to go if you were under 21 (which I was then). Ah, the memories!! I remember that you could look down at the dance floor from a second floor and check out the "inventory".
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
The fire was 1984-85 not 1980. Changing times, neighbors complaining all took it's toll. From what I heard the owner's torched it for the insurance money! It was a spectacular place, I remember when I first went there that monstrocity called "The Beverly Center" wasn't built yet. Simpler time and era.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
The Odyssey, used to be located on Beverly Blvd. between Fairfax and LaBrea. It was the only 18 and over club at the time. They had nothing but soft drinks, cute guys and dancing. They had a fire around the summer of 1980 I think it was, and never reopened. The local twisted joke at the time was something about "fried chicken".
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
Derek, Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the info also. Between you and JB Music, I got some great information about my old hangout. Sad, but I am not in the least bit surprised as all good things seem to come to an end eventually. Not many clubs stand the test of time.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Haha...no, it was called amylnitrate but in a gay disco analnitrate is funnier. It was sold as a room deodorizer which is how they got around the law to sell it. I couldn't stand the stuff, gave me a colossal headache just to be near it.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the info JB Music. Yes, I go way back I started going there in 77-when I was 17. I still had my paper learner's permit. I erased my year of birth and used a TYPEWRITER to make myself one year older. You only had to be 18 to get in as no alcohol was sold. But they did sell stuff we sniffed out of bottles. I think it was called analnitrate. Not to mention the other types of substances that people shared with each other. Those were the days and that was THE place. HIV was not around-just those pesky problems that simple antibiotics could get rid of. I refer to it as the era of "Gay innocence." By the way, if it matters I was one of the Odyessey's "Fag Hags." I am a straight married female who recently met someone in the small town (43,000)I now live in who is a Gay Male who also partied at the Odyessey during the same years as me. I thought there was something familiar about him! I loved my gay "boyfriends." We had lots of fun together. The Odyessey was open until 5 a.m. Often we would leave to catch the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Tiffany Theater on Sunset and then go back to the club afterwards. They could be open past 2 am because they did not sell alcohol.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Yes, the Odyssey was the first gay disco I ever set foot in around June of 1979. It was a really nice place that had good music and awesome lighting. I used to see many celebs in there too, Tatum O'Neal, Leif Garrett, Kristy McNichol, Tony Curtis. It changed around 1982-83 when it became more of a new wave-punk hangout, the crowd became more straight and problems with the neighborhood ensued. It was rumored that the owners burnt the place down around 1985. There is a new building in it's place, but I will always remember Odyssey!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
Man, you must go way back. I heard about that place, even though I did not live here at the time. Reading in the net, I see this " The Palladium. The Odyssey. Revolver. San Francisco, 1978-1981 ... the best hard-core disco on the west coast and ... as the ultimate Gay disco of the early 80's underground disco ..." Yes, I heard it was very underground, and they were close to shutting it because it was allowing many underage people in. But the place was burned down, and the club never reopened, so I hear.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 14
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Contribute!