1. WestHollywood.com
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. February 27, 2009
  4.  Subscribe via email
AVALON Security: Over the top?
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I totally AGREE with all these posts. Our group has stopped going to Avalon for a long time now. Last time we were there, one of our friends got pulled outside by security because he was standing next to some dude who unfortunately g'd out. The security thought that was my friend's friend. After a long moment of interrogation and finding nothing on my friends, they agreed to let him come back inside but he had to pay $70 for re-admission. The ticket was $50 for the night. Tell me, what is the reason for us to come back? I think it's time to show AVALON that they are not the ONLY LA spot for gay parties!
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I totally AGREE with all these posts. Our group has stopped going to Avalon for a long time now. Last time we were there, one of our friends got pulled outside by security because he was standing next to some dude who unfortunately g-out. The security thought that was my friend's friend. After a long moment of interrogation and found nothing on my friends, they agreed to let him come back inside but he has to pay $70 for readmission. The ticket was $50 for the night. Tell me, what is the reason for us to come back? I think it's time to show AVALON that they are not the ONLY LA spot for gay parties!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I totally AGREE with all these posts. Our group has stopped going to Avalon for a long time now. Last time we were there, one of our friends got pulled outside by security because he was standing next to some dude who unfortunately g-out. The security thought that was my friend's friend. After a long moment of interrogation and found nothing on my friends, they agreed to let him come back inside but he has to pay $70 for readmission. The ticket was $50 for the night. Tell me, what is the reason for us to come back? I think it's time to show AVALON that they are not the ONLY LA spot for gay parties!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Interesting comments. I think overall it is sad because I have a lot of good memories from Avalon (formerly The Palace). Actually when it was The Palace it was a lot more fun in the "Spin" years, for those who have been around long enough to know what I'm referring to. There is a lot lacking in the after-hours scene now I wish we could return to from several years ago. We need another new space with a good dancefloor. The space on Hollywood blvd which used to be Red Eye after-hours (7070 Hollywood) was always fun, and of course there was The Probe and Spike. The only consistent after-hours now is Reflex at Ultra Suede and once in a great while The Fonda. But they are merely a shadow of the former spots. And I'm not really into dropping $100 to trek downtown to The Mayan, even though that is a great space:(
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Gary, I TOTALLY agree. Me and my friends have been boycotting Avalon since Thanksgiving. We experienced the worst situation that night and have sworn not to go there anymore, (not even the free one). I have seen Security at other clubs dispose of liquid drugs on the floor after they searched it out from attendants, but the THUGS at the Avalon didn't... ONLY AVALON is soooooooooooooooo special, well if they don't want our money, somebody else will eventually. BOYCOTT AVALON !!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Avalon security continues to prey on their Asian gay party attendants! On Saturday straight party events, Asian party attendants are not bothered or searched at all! However, on gay party events, Avalon's security (especially a certain Hispanic security personnel who agressively search and prey on Asian attendants to take their drugs and money and spend it at a certain Afterhours event across the street from Avalon (I think he sells it back to the crowd at the Afterhours party!)... Anywhooo...please...everyone...gay or straight...please boycott Avalon! Let them feel the pain of this economy! Remember without us party attendants...they (security personnel) wouldn't have a job...this is probably their second job that they need to make a living! I am speaking and spreading the word to all of my friends: Asians, straight, and everyone else to boycott Avalon! Gay party promoters: please take notice! If you plan a party event at Avalon you will risk losing a 3rd to a half of your customers (1/3 or 1/2 of your supporters are Asians) because we are passing the word around to boycott Avalon like the gay crowd did back in the 'Hustler" events.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
One of my friends who goes there often recently told me that when he had a discussion with one of the members of Security, the person told him that Avalon does NOT like gay people because they think they (gay people) are not NICE, RUDE, and MEAN. We party very irresponsibly and tend to get the club in trouble with the city. That's why they are instructed to be aggressive and assholes. I guess when you open a night club business you sorta run a risk of the party who goes there. If this is your way of treating a particular group of customers, then don't do their events. If gay people tend to be a problem, don't open for gay events. Because what you are doing is wrong business-wise. As for us gay people (who are RUDE, MEAN, NOT NICE), we sure AVOID you too ......like a PLAGUE!!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
It was the President's day weekend. Just one thing after another, AVALON is losing the club-goers. This is overrated! Let's just NOT go there people.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
The staff at this place has always been a problem. I'm a "straight appearing" gay guy and I went to an event late one time not long ago and at the time I was the only one trying to enter. I say trying because the guy told me it was too late and they weren't letting anybody else in. For whatever reason the guy says to me "Why do you want to go in anyways, you know what it is tonight, right?" I reply, "Well YEAH?!" And the guy just acts surprised and walks away. Amazing......
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
Totally agree with Adam and B.K. We haven't been there since Thanksgiving as we have promised ourselves (me and my friends). It is ridiculous, and they just seemed to ignore the problems. I heard that security is still being aggressive and Assholes (last week). Well, I am sure there will be lesser people going if they continue ignoring it.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Adam.. was this the President's day party? I was there for MLK and didn't see much of this happening.. but there is no excuse for security to use such language!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Just 2 words for the Masterbeat promoter when considering booking any more gay events at Avalon : STAY AWAY. This club is so rude to all the customers. In this economy you want people to come to your event, to your business, and the tactics that Avalon employs accomplishes the complete opposite. When the club was over, Security was going around telling people to "get the fuck out." What's that attitude? We're paying $50 to come to the event and be treated like a dog. This is outrageous. When my friends were sitting on the stairs, instead of saying nicely for us to get up, they (Security) were hauling over us and aggressively forced us to get up. If you haven't noticed, the amount of people attending is getting smaller. That explains it. The people who previously wrote in this column about the security and the club are a testament to the facts. They have all somewhat experienced this madness. BOYCOTT AVALON!!! I sure already did!!!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Just 2 words for the promoter Masterbeat when consider booking any more gay events at Avalon : stay away. This club is so rude to all the customers. In this economy you want people to come to your event, to your business and the way that they do is completely the opposite. When the club is over, the securities were going around the club telling people "get the fuck out." What's that attitude? Considering we're paying $50 to come to the event and being treated like a dog. This is outrageous. Even when we sit down on the stairstep, instead of saying nicely for us to get up, they (security) were hauling over us and aggressively force you to get up. If you haven't notice, the amount of people attending is getting smaller. That explains it. Consider the people who have previously wrote in this column about the security and the club. They all somewhat have experienced this madness. BOYCOTT AVALON!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
Was at Avalon for MLK's Masterbeat party last night and didn't seem that security being too over protective..but would love to hear other stories. I was only drinking but can tell you one thing that there were a lot of discrete handshakes/pass-offs going on
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
The comments here are more about the late-night gay promotions at which people simply are more likely to use drugs. The question is, does this justify the nth degree of suspicion on the part of club security? I say no. If that's going to be part of the deal, the promoter should find another space.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 15
Votes
Undo
Yes, Avalon is soo anti-gay, that's why TIGERHEAT is there every Thursday right? It's also one of the most popular gay clubs in LA. Makes no sense at all what you people are saying.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 16
Votes
Undo
DO NOT GO TO AVALON this weekend if you don't want to waste your money on a night of random searching for nothing, rude harrashment from the securities and probably (like always) really bad music! Look at other posts! They're your real evidence!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 17
Votes
Undo
If Avalon is soooooooo ANTI-Gay, stop doing Gay Parties. We can go somewhere else. The owner of Factory did this, she said straight people are spending more because they consumed lots of alcohol (Absolutely, that's why there were violence every time, how often did you see gay guys fighting in a club, I've see none in 5 years, so they cut down the numbers of Gay events, well if Factory doesn't like GAYS, we simply don't go. The Thanksgiving night party is a TOTAL SETUP! Let's see how well will they do on their coming up NYE party, I guess there would be people from out of town, but for locals, NAH! Anyway, all of us are NOT going anymore even they apologize and hired Gay securties, it's just not worth it. I still can't get over with the apologize letter that KINETIXX sent out, it's just F-king BS.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 18
Votes
Undo
I was there last thanksgiving party, security were really strict on the crowd, i have friends who were kicked out, hold their Driver license and paid fine. ($80 per bottle of G) their reason is, they gonna test the water if its a drug. I think security are harassing gays, coz i went to avalon on Avaland (saturdays) for straight crowd, they dont even care if people are doing drugs on the dance floor. They are very tolerant to straight party and agressive to gays. Also straight parties are way more cheaper than gay parties, and yet the crowd are very gay friendly.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 19
Votes
Undo
0 tolerance for drugs??? R they freaking kidding me? The whole thing about pulling out people and searching for drugs does NOT happen in a straight event on Sat night usually. My straight friends who going there Sat night said these things don't happen. So were they targeting gay? then stop promoting gay nights!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Nightlife
  3. # 20
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Contribute!