1. WestHollywood.com
  2. Politics
  3. December 11, 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
In a democracy we vote. The people voted and gay marriage lost. The people have spoken and the behavior in the aftermath by the gay community is deplorable. You want rights then respect others rights. Why is this hard for you to understand?
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Silly, maybe, but the fact of the matter is, gay people do not have the same rights and privileges of non gay people. That is the bottom line. The Supreme Court of California ruled, and then it was put to a vote of the people. All people. Gay people did not get out the vote and therefore the non gay people won! Exactly whose fault is that? Hmmm? I know many gay people that are not registered voters, and many that do not bother to vote even if they are registered! "We" have not one to blame but ourselves! Out f State money, i.e. "The Mormon Church" controlled the financing to beat Prop 8, but "we" the registered voters now have the opportunity to convince our State Legislature to NOT approve an amendment to the State Constitution. It is not a "done deal" because the measure was voted "Yes". The State Legislature now has to write the amendment, and vote on it. Mormon money cannot convince them how to vote, only active Registered Voters can sway them! Write them letters. Send them emails. Something physical and tangible. Phone calls help, but phone calls can be ignored, or "not counted", but letters and postcards and emails cannot be ignored. Find YOUR State Legislature persons and flood their mailbox full of your concerns. The most Pro Active people will win! Their are more homosexuals in Calif. than their are Mormons! YOU can make a difference! Protesting in the streets simply does not change the minds of the State Legislature members, LETTERS show them who the voters are and what we want! Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger terms out soon, and we need to get a Democrat in the State House to support us. Register to vote, and vote in every election and on every measure! No matter if you feel it is silly or not. We only get our rights if we fight for them!
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
To vote on rights given to others is silly. Imagine back in the 1960s to repeal the jim crow laws by a vote it wouldnt pass. This is where supreme court is supposed to step in. Let it do its job and stop giving a minority right under the permission of a majority vote.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Although the measure did not go the way the gay community wanted it to go, that does not mean that the gay community has to accept the outcome of the election. NOW is the time to dig in our heels [or high hells in some cases!] and NOW is the time to make sure you write to your City State and Federal legislature members to let them know your position. The BIG money came from Utah, the Mormon Church. THEY do not have the power that registered voters in California have over our elected officials. People that live in Calif and vote in Calif are the people to whom the politicians will listen, otherwise they may lose their jobs! Re-writing a State Constitution is not all that simple. NOW is the time to get at your computer and send LETTERS to the legislatures. Telephone calls can be ignored, and are not as 'tractable' as a letter. FLOOD their offices with letters.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
In order to have Gay Marriage approved permanently in California or all over the country, we have to prove ourselves and show to the world that Gay Life is not just about promiscuity, sex, drugs and parties. I?m sorry to say this, but most of our community is F&ck up in the head right now!!!, more than 50% of gay guys are doing Tina, Cristal, K, ?.etc and sleeping with everybody and a lot of them practicing unsafe sex and sometimes not by choice because the drugs don?t allow them to think clearly and a lot of them get infected with HIV. Have you seen what happens when gay guys do drugs or heavy alcohol? They can't even feel emotions anymore and they become immune to feeling love and responsibility and they can't hold a relationship because the GAY.D.D. Takes over. (gay attention deficit disorder). Many are living their lives in big drama by choice because that?s the only way they can feel something since they don?t trust anybody and that?s very sad!!. That?s why when we go out to bars we find many gay guys with a lot of attitude because they are insecure inside and they cannot focus on the priorities in life and so they be mean as a self defense mechanism. That?s wrong! We cannot be in our 30?s, 40?s, 50?s and even 60?s years old and thinking that being gay means ?SEX, DRUGS AND DISCO?. Does anybody live in the real world? Let?s prove to society ?YES WE CAN? be responsible and focus. We have been stereotyped as being ?SEX, DRUGS AND DISCO?. And it?s very unfortunate, especially here in L.A. where Hollywood has such a big influence on most of our community and people become materialistic and emotion less. I heard people asking: "What different makes gay marriage if they keep behaving in the same way and with a ring in their hands and go to after hour?s club and live their lives on the edge?" Come on Guys! Wake up!!! To see our dream come true with Gay marriage we have to change our image my friend! We have to change! And take life a little more seriously. Its all about our priorities to balance our entire life. Remember ?moderation in everything is the answer! Take it easy guys!! Take it easy!! And be cool!!!! English is not my first language! But? Do you follow me on this discussion? Hopefully I made a point! Love u Guys! I always will!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
No idea what this topic is supposed to be about. I don't see the gay community getting violent or burning churches. All they are doing is protesting and boycotting. Why shouldn't there be protesting and boycotting? Did black people in this country just sit at home and accept not being considered legal equals? Hell no. This is never going to be over until all things are equal under the law, that's obvious. The equal rights of a small minority should never be subject to a vote. That's not what happened with the issue of race, sexual orientation is no different.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Democracy is more than a two party system. What ever happened to separation of church and state? Churches that spend millions on hate instead of spending the millions of dollars helping the poor and needy people are hate orgainizations. They need control and have greed in mind. Two major churches gave the bulk of the money. Just think of all of the starving and needy people that could have been helped. One fat cat church had to pay out tens of millions because some of their members raped and molested people for over many decades. They tried to fight it in court. That means they don't believe in justice for the victims of their crimes. The other believed in plural marriages and who knows what. Now they want mainstream acceptance? I do not know of any Jewish, Islam, Pagan or Buddist orgainizations that gave millions to this hate campaign. Spend money on helping, not hating people and understand the written word for the good that it intends. Just think, a gay person may save your life one day by pulling you out of a burning wreck or they can be the doctor who saves your child's life. What have the haters really got to loose? Think about it. God bless
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
We do not have a democracy with a two party system. What ever happened to separation of church and state? Did we see any large contributions from Islam, Pagan, Jewish & Buddist organizations? Not really, none that stick out. Two large church corporations paid for hate. I think that the money that they used is not for what their good lord intended. Feed poor and help sick people with it instead. Tens of millions not in the hands of people who NEED it is a shame. One of the churches paid out TENS of millions because their members raped and molested people. The other "CHURCH" has had a history of plural marriages and who knows what. Starving children suffer because of poorly spent money. Jesus was not a gay basher-hater. People mis-quote the bible for their own sick and dirty deeds. God will still make gay people no matter how much money haters will put out. Learn to love yourself more and give money to the poor and needy instead of spending on hate. God bless.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 7
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Contribute!