1. WestHollywood.com
  2. Politics
  3. April 24, 2009
  4.  Subscribe via email
Iowa's Supreme Court legalized gay marriage Friday in a unanimous and emphatic decision that makes Iowa the third state - and the first in the nation's heartland - to allow same-sex couples to wed. California????? Write your legislator!!!!
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It may seem pointless but writing these letters of support for gay marriage does help. And there are ways you can get others into it--it doesn't have to be a drag or some drawn out speech on paper. After the Iowa decision I decided to ask people over on a Sunday afternoon and I came up with a few different form letters on my computer. All my friends had to do to RSVP was to get their representative's contact info. So I printed out the form letters and I had about 15 friends put in the names, addresses and their signiature as voters. Then we had some drinks and went out! Try it, it will make you feel good knowing you at least did what you could.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
A midwest state is more progressive than California. Lol! Hats off to Iowa!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
yes i wrote my assemblyman and state senator asking them to listen to the people of the state and respect prop 8.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Gov. David Paterson is making another push to legalize gay marriage in New York, tapping into the momentum of other states that have recently allowed same-sex couples to wed, but the measure will face stiff opposition in the Legislature. Paterson is expected to introduce the bill Thursday. It's the same bill that died in 2007 and opponents are vowing to kill it again. "I think this is an attempt to gain momentum," said the Rev. Jason McGuire, legislative director of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, which opposes the measure. "But the simple reality is this is a very controversial issue, especially with this talk about the Senate majority being as razor thin as it is." The Democrat-controlled Assembly passed the bill 85-61 in 2007, but it died in the Senate, where the Republican majority kept it from going to a vote. The Democrats gained a 32-30 majority in last November's elections. Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith supports the measure but still doesn't believe there are enough votes to pass it. Contact all of your friends in New York to contact their legislators, AND keep writing to CALIF. legislators so we can keep this in the forefront of California while the momentum is rolling. WRITE LETTERS today. It does not matter if everyone wants to get married. It matters that everyone CAN get married if they so desire. Who knows? YOU might fall in love and want to get married someday!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Now, Gov. David Paterson of New York has restated his promise to push for this decent and important change in the marriage laws of New York State. This is a basic civil right that has been denied to New York?s gay residents for too long. Many have been forced to go to Connecticut or Massachusetts for an official marriage certificate. If that is not enough of an argument for Mr. Paterson, it could also give him a much-needed political, as well as moral, win. The governor?s poll numbers are at historic lows, in part because people worry that he does not have enough discipline and backbone to succeed at Albany?s tough politics. Californians are you listening? Write to your State Legislators! NOW!!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Gay-rights groups say that momentum from back-to-back victories on same-sex marriage in Vermont and Iowa could spill into other states, particularly since at least nine other legislatures are considering measures this year to allow marriage between gay couples. The Vermont Legislature on Tuesday overrode Gov. Jim Douglas?s veto of a bill allowing gay couples to marry, mustering one more vote than needed to preserve the measure. The step makes Vermont the first state to allow same-sex marriage through legislative action instead of a court ruling, and comes less than a week after the Iowa Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriages in that state. New York, New Jersey, Maine and New Hampshire are among the states where such proposals have gained legislative support in recent months. Note CALIFORNIA is NOT in the forefront!!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage The Legislature on Tuesday voted to override the veto by Gov. Jim Douglas of a bill allowing gays and lesbians to marry. OK boys and girls! It is time to get serious! Write your State Legislators today! RIGHT NOW! Write your City Managers. Write your City Councils. Write your City Mayors. Write letters to newspapers. California needs to get on the bandwagon and get onboard with this marriage is legal thing today! We are citizens just like everyone else. We should be able to marry, and divorce!!! like everyone else!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
Nathaniel Frank: The Road to Gays in the Military Runs through Iowa. The last remaining argument for the military's gay ban -- that young men in the nation's heartland could never accept serving alongside gays -- has been totally dismantled. YOUR congressperson can change this! Give them your viewpoints. Write letters!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
Iowa to get married and live not vacation! Unless you like cornfields, not much to see and do in Iowa. The key here is that every gay registered voter needs to sit down today and write as many letters as possible to every member of the State Legislature. And when these things come up for vote every gay person should make sure they understand the issues and vote vote vote. It is really pitiful that many gay folks are not even registered voters! If every person who marched when the issue failed would have voted they issue would have passes. Too little too late.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
What blows me away is that it was unanimous! In Iowa! What does that say about California? I need to look into Iowa for my next vacation! Throw some money their way!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Politics
  3. # 10
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Contribute!